Dylan Bell… showed off over three octaves without breaking a sweat.Brent Stephens, Alliance for A Cappella Initiatives
According to my grandmother, I made my performance debut at age three, singing “O Danny Boy” to strangers at the doctor’s office. I kept a slightly-lower profile until age 16, when I made my stage debut as the Major-General in a high school production of “Pirates of Penzance.”
Throughout university, I sang in and directed Wibijazz’n’, the York University contemporary chorus, where I developed my jazz chops and my love for a cappella singing. I’ve been singing professionally, a cappella and otherwise, nonstop ever since.
I sing all styles from classical to rock, but my main focus is on a cappella ensemble singing, and bebop scat-soloing.
From 2003-2006, I toured around the world as first tenor for Canada’s premiere a cappella vocal band Cadence . I currently tour the world singing with several projects: solo, with the pan-stylistic FreePlay Duo, the 1980s top-40 a cappella band Retrocity, vocal-jazz quartet Hampton Four, and sang with the Nathaniel Dett Chorale. Performance highlights include:
- Impromptu performances with vocal maestro Bobby McFerrin
- Performances for Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and Oscar Peterson
- Jamming onstage with music legend Les Paul
- Performing at the Canadian Embassy in Washington for the inauguration of President Obama
In The Studio
I often work as a session singer, and have sung on Hollywood film soundtracks, radio and television jingles, and major-label albums. I love session-singing, and this is what I bring to the studio:
- perfect pitch
- extended vocal range
- strong sightreading skills
- multistylistic, from classical to rock
- exceptional knowledge of complex harmony (no hand-holding required, producers!)
- ability to create “on the fly” vocal arrangements and scores
- vocal directing/producing skills
Over the years I have developed an extensive network of fantastic singers, and also work as a vocal contractor. As a producer, arranger and performer, I am familiar with all angles of production. I understand what you need, and I know who can deliver.